Monday, March 7, 2022

Mykola Lysenko, Koza-dereza (1890)

Man, imagine if Lysenkoism referred not to Soviet pseudoscience but to a compositional style based on the music of Mykola Lysenko.  That would be way better.

Anyway, here's one of two children's operas that Lysenko wrote.  When I heard "children's opera," I wasn't sure whether it was meant for children to watch or to sing, but based on this evidence, it is the latter.  That video is less than twenty minutes long.  Does that mean it's abridged?  Well...maybe, but maybe not, if it was written for kids to be equal to.

The problem is...I have no idea what this is about.  I can't find any plot information anywhere.  I initially thought it was just going to be based on "The Three Billygoats Gruff," which would be easy enough to follow, but it's really not.  There's a goat who, it appears, is extremely naughty.  All the other characters are animals, most prominently a fox, but also a dog, bear, &c.  In the end, they chase the goat off.  That's about all that I gathered about THIS story!

The music is very nice, though.  Simple, catchy stuff that, indeed, children can sing.  This is a school production.  So obviously none of the performers are professionals, but if I compare this to school plays I acted (well, "acted") in back in the day, I have to conclude that these kid are mind-bogglingly talented.  Imagine unironically watching a school play where you have no connection to any of the kids for pleasure.  THAT is not something I thought would ever happen, but now it has.

...and if it's hard with adult singers, it is absolutely fucking unbearable to watch these sweet children performing and think of them having the horrors of war shoved in their faces.  Murderous rage is the only justifiable response.

No comments:

Post a Comment