Friday, March 11, 2022

Ivan Nebesnyy, Fox Mykyta (2020)

Okay, here is this, based on a series of Ukrainian folk stories as retold/collected by Ivan Franko, who also wrote the poem that Skoryk's Moses is based on.  In preparation for seeing this, I read this English version of it.  I wasn't what you'd call impressed, but let's see how the opera's gonna handle it.

The story follow very closely with the original work: this here Fox is called in by King Lion to be punished for playing mean tricks on everyone, but he manages to wriggle out of it, murders a handful of other animals, and then, for extremely unclear reasons, is lauded by everyone.  WOW did I ever not like this story.

Still, I'll give the opera credit: I liked it more than that book.  There's some pretty darned fun music here, especially at, like, the climax of tricks where it gets all carnival-sounding.  There's also a strong folk element, and the use of traditional Ukrainian instruments.  It makes for an interesting sound.  Fox is still unlikeable; I hope this isn't sexist, but I think it might've been a good idea to make it a trouser role; it seems like a woman might have a bit better luck at making the character even marginally charming or appealing.  I'm sort of on the fence about whether subtitles--me being able to understand specifically what they're saying as opposed to just generally--would've made him more likable or less, and I'm kinda guessing yes.  He is most unpleasant.

Well, what else can I say?  As contemporary operas go, it's not terrible, but I do think it's held back by the unpromising source material.  Dangit, I obviously didn't mean to end up in a place of slagging off Ukrainian culture when I started this, but this story, man.  It's not good.  I would love--and I mean this sincerely, I want to learn--to talk to a Ukrainian person and learn why they like it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment