Sunday, April 24, 2022

Georg Frideric Handel, Jephtha (1751)

So, Jephtha: he was an Old-Testament guy who was banished by his family on account of being illegitimate.  But when they need someone to help them defeat the Ammonites, they bring him back and agree to make him their king.  

So he goes, but before that, he makes the great decision to promise that if he's able to win, he'll murder the first person he meets, as tribute to God.  Um.  But then he sees his daughter, doh!  He's not happy with it, but he goes ahead and murders her 'cause whatteryagonnado? 

Here's my question: what if it HADN'T been his daughter?  What if it had just been some stranger?  Would his reaction have been to cheerfully go, welp, better slaughter this person because I told God I would!"  That kind of behavior nets you multiple life sentences in this day and age.  To be fair, unlike with Abraham and Isaac, there's no actual indication that God really wants him to be doing this--it's just his own personal madness.  But if God objects to this, he's sure quiet about it.

I mean, I know pointing out how fucked up some Bible stories are is kind of hacky, but it's hard not to when faced with this.  But it's still a problem: they may be interesting illustrations of primitive religion, but when you're asked to take the drama seriously--well, it's hard.

So people have long been uncomfortable with this story, it seems.  If you look at the text, it seems pretty clear.  Some have argued that, no, she was just, like, secluded and dedicated to God for the rest of her life, but I really feel like you'd have to have a vested interest in the story being other than what it is to make that argument.  Not that this really makes it that much better.  But it IS what this oratorio does.  God sends an angel to tell them, no no.  Sure, better than dying, but damn, man--she has a fiance!  She's looking forward to getting married!  And now, all of a sudden, sorry, nope, we're completely derailing your entire life because of this incomprehensible cosmic wheeling and dealing that's going on around us.  They both seem quite chirpy about it--at least in this production--but you know they are just SEETHING inside.  My head-canon is that they emark on a long, secret affair, in defiance of all this arbitrary theological gibberish.

In any case, either way, it's just this cruel, ridiculous story, and you sort of wish Handel could've found a better libretto.  AND YET!  Well, it is Handel, and this is his final oratorio, meaning his final dramatic work of any kind.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'm enough of a Handel expert that I can distinguish between his early and late work, so I can't say "ah ha, you can see how ideas he had been working on for many years finally come to fruition here."  But GODDAMN this is great music.  What's more, lot of the arias work dramatically in and of themselves, as long as you don't think about the larger context, and I'll go even further than that: there are parts where you're so carried away that you don't care about the dubiousness of the story; you're so swept up that you have to just go with it.  And that is my ultimate piece of praise for this piece (wha?!?).

1 comment:

  1. I guess one can make dramatisation of this Biblical accounts, that when she ask her dad to let her go to the mountains for two months to weep over her virginity Jepthatha was like "Oh, good! This gives her plenty of time to escape and I tell God I was tricked and whatyougona do? Boy is Seila clever! Thank the Lord... wait!" but turn out she was *SO* devoted to God she return all cheerful and ready for her sacrafice, to make Jepthatha vows biting him in the butt one more time! It is called "tragic vow" for a reason, you know!

    Seriously, seeing how open to the idea of being sacrafice She was in the Bible one can asume she was as into her faith as Jephthah (if not more) and perhaps one can imagine interpretation where living in celibacy was actualy something she would prefer over some (propably arrange) marridge anyway! Yeah, she weept at first but who knows what realisation she came after that? Maybe during this time she had epiphany and realise this is what she realy wanted and it was part of God's plan all along!

    If she can bring her tambourine into her seculsion to play it brakes between praying then I'm happy for her, same way I'm happy for every nun who picked enclosed order (including my cosuin) Hey! Seeing Handel can take this short text and make entire Opera base on it with adding plot device Angels (which is... dare I say it... a "Deus ex machina") then so can I look at it from modern spiritual point of view.

    And if I what I just wrote sounds insane to you, well then I guess I'm insane :)

    ReplyDelete