Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Davide Penitente (1785)

This can in no way be considered an opera, even by the loose standards I sometimes employ.  It  has no discernible narrative or characters.  Nonetheless, I am writing about it here, even at the risk of being decertified as the only opera blog.

What's it about?  Aren't you listening?  But, I mean, you could look at the title.  It's a religious cantata with a lot of asking God's forgiveness and whatnot, featuring a tenor, a soprano, and a mezzo.  The original thing is only forty-five minutes, so this is supplemented by three instrumental pieces which fit well with the generally solemn mood.  The music is great!  It's late Mozart!  Who can complain?

Well, as I said, you couldn't stage this as an opera, so what exactly are we watching here?  Well, that cover may give you a clue, and this is where the performance falls down a bit.  Yes, we are treated--or possibly subjected--to a dressage display throughout the whole thing.  The connection between this and the music is obscure; I gather that the performance took place at some sort of former equestrian center, so that's why, but I'm not sure if that really justifies it.

The first issue isn't the performers' fault; it's that the director is obsessed with doing these constant jump-cuts that make it difficult to really follow the action (if you want to call it that).  I do like the fact that filmed opera can do close-ups, but this might've been a situation where a fixed camera angle would've worked better.  As for the second issue: well, here's the thing about dressage: it's obviously super-hard to do well, both in terms of the necessary training and the actual performance aspect.  And yet...it still looks kind of lame.  I'm not a fan.  Of course, a dressage partisan might respond, "oh YEAH?  You know what ELSE is obviously super-hard to do well but nonetheless looks [or sounds] lame?  OPERA!"  To which I have no rebuttal.  I mean, the difference is that I'm right and you're wrong, but what else can I say?  Maybe I'm prejudiced because it seems like a hobby for rich bastards, which granted is pretty rich in itself, coming from an opera fan.  But still.  This is worth watching for the music, and maybe if you like your horseplay more than I do, you'll also love the visuals.  But I'm only half-impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment