Sunday, May 16, 2021

Georges Bizet, Le docteur Miracle (1857)

I'm not seeing as many operas lately because I'm teaching three nights a week this summer.  Also--I must confess--I've been watching some things that are not operas.  I feel like I'm confessing to an infidelity.  My shame is unbounded.  Don't imagine that I'm losing interest in the form, though.  It's just the way it is!

But I did see this short Bizet piece, another MT project.  Is it about the most villainous of the Four Villains in Les contes d'Hoffmann?  OF COURSE it's not!  What kind of an idiotic question is that?!?  Yeesh.  There's a woman, Laurette, who's in love with a soldier, Silvio, but her parents are having none of it.  A man named Pasquin shows up, and offers his services to help around the house and keep out any damned suitors.  He makes an omelette for the family, the praises of which they sing until they try it, and then they sing about how gross it is.  Pasquin is revealed as Silvio in disguise and chased away.  But Laurette's dad feels sick and thinks he's been poisoned by the omelette.  The only one who can save him?  The amazing Doctor Miracle!  But he won't do it unless he's granted Laurette's hand.  This being done, he reveals himself as that damn Silvio again.  The omelette wasn't poisoned; no need to fret.  But dad knows when he's been beat, so...that's that.

I can't say I exactly understand Silvio's machinations here: was this fake poisoning thing always the plan?  It seems needlessly complex.  I cannot be having unrealistic operas!  I have very high standards!Okay, whatevz.  The truth is, this may have the lightest plot imaginable, but Bizet's comic music is as witty and fun as it comes.  The omelette song in particular is a trip.  As for this M T production...well, I hate to complain, but the subtitling does leave a bit to be desired.  The spoken parts (which are in Spanish in this production) are barely if at all subtitled, and even the singing...hmm.  Part of why it makes so little sense may be due to problems with that NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING.  Okay, obviously I am.  But not too much.  

Anyway, Bizet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment