Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Antonín Dvořák, The Devil and Kate (1899)

It's always a good day when you get to watch a Dvořák opera, and here's my proof: have you ever heard someone say "man, what a terrible day: I had to watch a Dvořák opera?"  I submit that you have not.  Well...maybe you have.  I don't know what kind of people you hang out with.  But I would confidently assert that it's at least relatively uncommon!  Right, where were we?

I know this is available on DVD, but...it's in English, which I'm not super-down with.  It may be an irrational prejudice of mine, but I want to see an opera in its original language.  Besides, I don't know how to classify them if I don't: should I say that I saw this in English, thereby skewing the statistics?  That would be madness!  Well, as it happens, I saw this production, in the original language.  There's a libretto here, which google will gladly translate into questionable English for you, and combined with the wikipedia entry, comprehension is no problem.

Right, so there's a party.  Jirka, a shepherd, is drunk but has to go back to work for the oppressive steward.  That jerk!  Kate, a peasant girl, appears.  She wants to go dancing, even though her mother disapproves.  A mysterious guy appears and asks her to dance.  She agrees, but it turns out this is a devil, and he tempts her to go off to Hell with him.  Jirka, in trouble with his boss, decides, whatever, might as well go after her.  The devil, whose name is Marbuel, takes Kate to Hell.  His mission, it turns out, was to bring the princess and her steward, who are big-time sinner, to hell, but he just has Kate.  The devils want to get rid of her because she's being ornery, but she has a crucifix that prevents them from interfering with her.  When Jirka appears, they beg him to take her away, which he does.  Back on Earth, the princess is feeling remorseful about living a dissolute lifestyle while the people suffer.  Jirka appears, and she begs him to save her, but he says, no no, you're just too darn sinful.  He suggests that first, she should abolish the serfdom to prove her goodness, which she does.  Google translate distractingly translates "serfdom" as "robot"--I knew that the word came from Czech for "worker" or something along those lines, but still.  Anyway, then Jirka agrees to help her, with Kate's help--when Marbuel appears, she can get her revenge on him.  He does appear, but freaks out when he sees her and flees back to Hell.  The princess is saved, and declares that she will change her ways.  She appoints Jirka her counselor and gives Kate a sweet house and a bunch of cash.  Kate declares that what she really wants is a husband, but that since now she's rich, she'll have the pick of the pack.  The end!!!

One thing that stands out here is that, unlike most comic operas, there's absolutely no romance.  Not that I mind romance, but it's still a pleasant change.  Kate is a really fun character, certainly one of the better female roles I've seen, kicking ass and taking names.  The music...well, it's Dvořák, so you're gonna have a good time.  In particular, there's a really rad-ass ballet scene in Hell near the end of the second act.  Don't miss it!  I guess it's the first real comedy I've seen by Dvořák, if you agree that The Jacobin is more of a romance.  So that's cool, but really, the more the merrier.  He's so damn good that it's baffling to me that no one wants to perform anything beyond Rusalka.

No comments:

Post a Comment