Thursday, March 26, 2020

Iiro Rantala, Sanatorio Express (2018)

Welcome to day three of Scandinavian Opera Week! Didn't know it was Scandinavian Opera Week? Well, neither did I. And yet, here we, with my second-ever Finnish-language work. Rantala is mainly known as a jazz pianist, and weirdly enough, neither his wikipedia page, nor--as far as I can tell--his official website makes any reference whatsoever to this opera--nor, again as far as I can tell, has anyone ever reviewed it on the internet. This no-profile situation is very baffling to me--I'm pretty sure every other contemporary opera I've seen has at least something written about it online. I'm a Sanatorio Express pioneer, and that level of responsibility makes me very nervous.

Well, never mind. I don't think this one needs and very close attention. It's set in a sanatorium. Are those still a thing? All I can think of when I hear the term is The Magic Mountain. Well, be that as it may, this one exists. It's called--wait for it--Sanatorio Express, and people go there to treat their more-or-less imaginary neuroses. None of the characters are named. The sanatorium is run by a kind of sleazy, tyrannical doctor. There's a jaded receptionist commenting on the action. There are a few random patients, but the main couple is a woman who eats compulsively concerned about her weight (who, it must be admitted, veers dangerously close at times to being nothing more than fat joke) and a...well, a guy. Another inmate. He doesn't really have any characteristics. The woman's husband shows up, angry, and it turns out that he's closeted and unhappy (is this a thing that would really happen in Finland in 2017?). Everyone learns to accept themselves, and the husband and the doctor hook up.

It's...fine, I guess. A little slight. The Operavision blurb goes on about how "side-splittingly funny" it is, which seems like a bit of an overstatement, though it has its amusing moments. It also declares that it would be "a great introduction to opera for first-timers," and I can't say I agree with that at all. The music is a sort of "zany," whimsically comical affair, as befits the action. I found Päivi Nisula to be a hoot as the receptionist. The stuff about "oh all these people with their fake diseases they're so pampered LOL" seems a bit culturally reactionary at times, but hey, there IS a gay couple, so if we're making some sort of balance sheet here, I guess things come off fairly neutrally.

Hey, we're living in dark times; maybe you need something silly and disposable to fill them. I certainly wouldn't blame you. This'll fill the bill, though I can name any number of other operas that would probably do it more satisfyingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment