Monday, January 20, 2020

Top Ten Opera Composers I've Somehow Avoided


I've seen a fair few operas, but there are hundreds of composers I've NEVER seen. I mean, thousand, really, but in terms of those that are ever performed and available in any way, probably hundreds. I want to see them all! Why not? But there are a few notably notable omissions on my list, so here's the ten that seem most glaring to me.

1. Pyotr Tchaikovsky--Truly weird that I've missed out on Tchaikovsky to date. I mean, I've listened to plenty of his music; I've seen The Nutcracker; I know how good he is--so what gives? If Eugene Oneginisn't the most famous Russian opera, it's second only to Boris Godunov.

2. Giacomo Meyerbeer--His star has fallen nowadays (in large part because of the nazis--but also, sadly we have to admit, because of Wagner and other anti-Semites of the time), but he was one of the most successful opera composers of the ninteenth century. I have no doubt that his operas are well worth seeing, and a lot of them are more or less readily available.

3. Benjamin Britten--The most famous British composer of operas? I suppose it depends on whether you count Gilbert and Sullivan, but certainly a huge name. I've heard nothing but positive things about the likes of Peter Grimes, Billy Budd, and Death in Venice,
so let's get on it!

4. Francesco Cavalli--The most important early baroque composer short of Monteverdi himself, or such is the impression I get. He wrote a lot of operas, many of which are both extant and well-regarded, so as a fan of baroque music, what am I waiting for?

5. Arnold Schoenberg--I like the Schoenberg music I've heard, sort of, and he IS considered one of the most important figures in twentieth-century music. I have to admit, I still haven't quite wrapped my head around atonal music (let's face it, even after having it explained to me several times, I'm still not entirely sure what it even is), so I'm a little wary here, but I think that if I'm at all interested in music, I need to at least see Moses und Aron [sic]. Here is a youtube comment that you should ABSOLUTELY NOT IN TEN BILLION YEARS "view replies" to:


You know, I'm starting to think that even though Wagner was a genius composer, his malign influence may not actually have been worth it.

6. Mikhail Glinka--He only wrote two operas, but he's widely considered the father of Russian music as its own distinctive thing, and I really want to see his work. Also, he may be the handsomest composer:


Dang. In later pictures, he doesn't look as good due to the omnipresent Unfortunate Facial Hair, but still.

7. Thomas Adès--As far as contemporary composers I'm umfamiliar with go, he must be number one. I suppose that's a somewhat limited group, but still. I have heard mixed reviews, but nonetheless, The Tempest and The Exterminating Angel are both high on the viewing list.

8. Some Scarlatti or other--There are three baroque composers named "Scarlatti" (more, actually, but these are the only ones who wrote extant operas): Alessandro, his son Domenico, and his nephew Giuseppe. Which is best? Who can possibly say?!? I just feel, given the preponderance of Scarlattis stomping around, I ought to experience at least one of them. It's only fair.

9. Marc-Antoine Charpentier--Between Lully and Rameau, there was Charpentier (actually, he was only a little younger than Lully, but apparently he only came into his own after the death of Lully, who was apparently kind of monopolizing the opera stage. He's supposed to be good. I want to find out more. Hey, we're near the end of the list; it's only natural that these should turn from must-sees to probably-a-decent-idea-to-sees.

10. Leonardo Vinci--Boy, his parents were NOT thinking in terms of google searches when they named him, I'll tell you that much. Another baroque composer--I'm loading up on those guys, and why not? I dunno; he's supposed to be good. Also, he was allegedly poisoned by a jealous husband, so that's fun.

Honorable mention: Umberto Giordano--again, meant to be good. His first opera was written for the competition that was ultimately won by Cavalleria rusticana. Andrea Chénier and Fedoracome highly recommended.

1 comment: